Friday, July 24, 2009

Updates and Neti Pots

It's been a while! It feels like only yesterday since I made my last post...*tears*

I finished my second drawing today (Sandwichham Lincoln) because I realised that I shot myself in the foot and cannot really add clouds to the background as I hoped. I tried oil pastel, which just wasn't opaque enough, and permanent white gouache but it looked really terrible and out of place. So I'll have to leave the clouds out.

I've started on my third drawing. Instead of doing another big one, I'm opting to do at least two smaller ones because I don't have a good quality paper for the big. The paper I used in Sandwichham Lincoln is very obviously bad when one takes a close look. But the smallers ones, I'll be using Kent paper, which is big with manga artists. It's kind of like a more refined, thinner bristol board, and marker takes beautifully to it (it winds up with a lovely watercoloury type mottled affect, but small enough to not be in the way and even enough to not look splotchy). I decided to try with my markers this time as that way I won't have to deal with 15 layers of waxy prismacolours. This way the prismacolour detailing I add will not scrape off other layers of prismacolour.

I also like the idea of having a couple smaller ones. It'll give everyone a better idea of the theme I'm going for (since the first two are relatively different), and it'll be more fun for me to qork on two seperate drawings.

I'll be posting pics of the finished Sandwichham Lincoln possibly later tonite.

The new one I've begun involves me with Abraham Lincoln latching onto my side like a baby. I'm holding a bar of chocolate with a bite taken out of it, and Abraham is gonna have some chocolate mess around his mouth. Hahahaha. I intented originally for him to be popping his head out of a shopping bag but that didn't work. Possibly for my second one though :)

In other news, it's been about 4 days since I've used my neti pot. I got a terrible, awful headache last nite just before bed, and woke up with a horrifying migraine this morning. I've taken advil and used my neti pot today. But during the 4 days, I thought to myself, Jelena, use your neti pot. The last time I had a long stretch between uses, I suffered a terrible headache and told myself to use it every day so I wouldn't have to suffer another one of those headaches because of my laziness. Well, apparently I forgot about the pain, and now oh boy do I remember! It's amazing how much a little plastic nasal irrigator can help someone like me who has dysfunctional sinuses.

So my lesson of the day. And if you get headaches often, and wake up with a stuffy nose, and have a hard time smelling things, and have post nasal drip, do yourself a favour and buy a neti pot! It's very simple to use. Strange at first but if you do it right you don't feel a thing, and the more you do it the quicker you get at it. And it really works wonders!

Here's what mind kinda looks like...
I went with Chris to Highpoint yesterday, where we made a mad dash to get all the things we needed. He picked up his copy of The Bigs, a baseball video game, I went to Priceline to get some more makeup (which I lost last weekend....*sob*) and get confounded by mascara options. Then we went to Big W where we bought some books. I got a new one called "The Help". So far I really enjoy it! The characters are brilliant and so believable, and it's genuinely interesting and fun to read. I recommend it! I doubt it'll be long before I have to buy another book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment