Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's All Coming Up Smiley

I've got a big update for today.

The last couple of days have been daunting for me emotionally. I haven't actually made any drawings or sit down and done anything too extensive for a while, and I think the lack of productivity was starting to get to me. I began to feel all sorts of doubts and worries about what on earth I'm doing. 

Yesterday I had a chat with Jack for a while and he told me to just do what I want. I know that he's right. It can just be so hard to see the light when you're caught up inside a giant storm cloud. Everywhere you look is gray and hopeless. I tried to draw last nite and wasn't happy with what I came up with. Of course I wouldn't be. So I had a brief meltdown and vented to Chris when he got home. I was DEMANDING something to come out of myself, I wanted it too badly, and I realised I just needed to take a step back. You know those days when you sit down to do your work and nothing comes out right....the best thing to do is just stop and go watch tv and try again tomorrow.

So that's what I did. I relaxed with Chris last nite, watched a weird Japanese movie, The Audition, that was kind of a mind fuck but I guess in a good way. Today I just started off gentle with myself. I found some particle board coasters, blank craft ones, and thought I'd try my hand at making a felt smileyface Abe.

That was fun, and I wondered what would happen if I drew directly onto the coasters...So I tried drawing Abe on one and really loved how the coloured pencils worked over the surface...I could press as hard as I liked and not worry about driving a hole through the surface. lol.

Then I realised....well, I've got a massive sheet of particle board just sitting there near the door.....nothing on it....maybe I'd try to make a giant smiley face on it........:)

These I made last nite, idly while watching The Audition with Chris. I like the eggy toast one the best :) 

Here's the Abe smiley piece I made. I traced the coaster onto the blue felt then cut it out and glued it down with the stinkiest glue known to man. If you look closely you can see I even added a small mole on its face. haha. I couldn't say no to the googly eyes too...

My Abe coaster drawing. I love the colour and flecks present in the natural chipboard. This was just a quick drawing and I tried to just keep it simple as a test and to show off the board.

Here's a closeup so you can see the texture better :) I love the unfinished lines of pencil.

The beginings of Smiley. I used a cake protector thingy to trace around. I need to repolish my toenails apparently...

Sammy, Toot, and Tootie D helped pick up the slack when my hand started hurting from pressing hard on the coloured pencils.

The face is finished....ah yeah! I didn't make it too crisp or anything...I like the edges a bit rough and raw. It creates a nice, old time effect as well. 

So....apparently I'll be needing to go back to Bunnings and buy more particle board/chipboard. Chris will be pleased I'm sure, and Sammy will love it cause they always sell hotdogs outside of Bunnings :D

No comments:

Post a Comment