Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Badges

I've been meaning to learn how to make ribbon badges. And yesterday I accidentaly began making some.

I started off by cutting out tons of shapes out of super sculpey...small squares, small circles, ovals, larger squares, circles, and sugar cookie-ruffled circles, as well as three wonky looking frames.

Last nite I was sanding and etc, and then realised that the ruffled circles would look great with ribbon behind him.....so a bit of tweaking, and then later a polymer clay top hat added....and voila...I had a pretty cool patriotic-looking ribbon badge! Like one that would be worn by a presidential candidate of yesteryore (I know that's wrong but I like it). So Today I'll be finishing those up and hopefully posting pictures.

I can definitely see these badges being a big part of cuddletown. I think they're pretty unique and very cute, and I can see all sorts of different images on them....Abe....Sammy, clay charms, etc. <3 I am excited about them.

I'm not sure about the frames. I mean, I made basic rectangular small frames from clay but I thought, what's the point? I could buy frames that look better than this. The clay does nothing for it. So I was thinking maybe I'll try some more unconventional shapes for my clay frames. That way I won't have to worry as much about making everything symmetrical.

I was imagining a drawing last nite....one of Abe and Ann Rutledge at the sewing/quilting bee. He's leaning in twords her and whispering in her ear and she's blushing, just like the "story" says....but there will be other elements involved. What, I'm not sure yet. I do need more drawings though. Honest...

Hopefully picture updates later, and if not today, then tomorrow :)

2 comments: