Monday, August 24, 2009

Bread and Butterfly , Abe felt pillow

I've been trying to keep somewhat busy the last couple of days. Photos below...:)


Here is the Bread and Butterfly I made for Kat at Uni on Friday. She did me a big favour, so I'm giving it to her for free! I was talking about making these when she saw my little clay toasts in my studio, and she said she wanted one. I'm giving it to her tomorrow, so hopefully she won't mind that it's got one giant eye. LOL. I scented this little fella so he smells like sugar cookies! :)


He looks simple enough in design, but it was actually really difficult to get this to look right. I had a different placement for the wings originally but it was proving too difficult a feat of extreme engineering for what I wanted. So I opted for this head-on view instead. This is made of fimo, TLS, wire, one googly eye, scent, super glue, and necklace findings.


Now on to my Abe felt pillow.....


For some reason I wanted to make an Abe applique out of felt. I bought a $2 purple pillow cover at Arthur Daley's (where I buy everything, apparently...LOL) and already had boatloads of felt. This is all cut free-hand. He looks like Mr. Potato head!


I wasn;t sure how to create shadows, but I figured out to just layer different parts over a darker skin tone shade. I used fabric glue to put all the small pieces together.


This picture amuses me. It looks particularly evil! Working out the hair and the beard was tricky.


I love this view because you can see the planes and the texture. :)


I added sideburns that I glued underneath his face instead of on top, which made it so much easier to get a decent shape. I glued the ears on in this same manner. Sammy was a big help!


I ironed on some doubled-sided backing, but then ironing the whole shebang onto the pillow just wasn't working, and I wound up ironing the beautiful planes almost completely flat in the process. I'm pretty bummed about that. I wound up just using fabric glue for the entire thing. I like this pic though after he's been all glued together.


Working out placements for the smiley faces. The finished product pretty much looks like this. But I didn't take a photo of it. I will in my studio tomorrow :)


Please let me know what you think!! I'm thinking maybe I'll make more pillows like these to sell. LOL.




4 comments:

  1. Those are so awesome!!!! Even Sammy is impressed. LOL!!! Thanks for showing how it's done. That's so nifty. I love how you combine craft with fine art. We're always discussing that in art history that those two are separate, but I can see with you that craft is just as important as drawing/painting. I admire your abilities to make these Abe Lincoln faces and butterflies with buttery slices of bread. Your style has retained and stayed consistent. I love that a lot. <3
    Was it intentional that Abe's lips look like a Texas cowboy hat? It's so cool when you think about it. Westerns were so popular then. I could imagine him watching one to keep his depressing moods at bay. Someone has to be interested in buying those!!!! Ask Obama? Heehee. ;)
    -Janyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janyce!

    You're welcome! I really love seeing other people's WIPs and the stages done to create them, I think it's fascinating, so I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    At this point I have to combine crafts with art because otherwise I'd be so unhappy. I have so much fun making crafty things, but when I sit down to make "art" I feel like it has to be a certain way. So this way I trick myself. I know what you mean...craft is looked down upon, in comparison to art. We've talked about it in class as well :D

    LOL!! That was not intentional at all! But it makes me laugh! I can totally imagine him loving westerns! :D Maybe a cowboy abe will be making an appearance...

    "Dear Obama, I think you should grow whiskers..." hehe....Obama is a big fan of Lincoln, so maybe a drawing of them fishing together.....:)

    <3 Jel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jels!!!!

    LMAO!!!! Obama and Lincoln fishing together? That sounds freaking hilarious!!!! I bet it would super amazing. I can imagine some very good colored pencil work or even felt dolls being made right now. You have me on the edge of my seat here!!!!! I'm also thinking Abe Lincoln featuring spurs and his own horsey. Heee hee.
    I know what you mean about the crafty art, but don't make school turn you into a Debbie Downer. Make what makes you happy, but try to get a good grade for it, lol (well, as in getting it done by ridiculous deadlines and making that studio look like someone's actually in there almost 24/7 but not quite. You get graded on that right?) I think your art is fab and I love it because there is some risk taking/creativity involved. I mean who has heard of Lincoln felt pillows and butterflies with buttery breaded wings?
    No one I'm sure. :D
    <3333
    -Janyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I can imagine it! I'm not sure if it would fit in with my grad show project but I'm considering doing it for fun on the side. Oh hell.....maybe it would fit....LOL..it must be done!

    Abe in spurs.....oh my!

    It's funny, because they do kinda grade you on your use of the studio space, but I've told them a million times that I don't work in my studio because I'm much more comfortable working at home. Finally Bernhard (my main teacher now) said that that was fine as long as I brought my work in to the studio so he could at least see I was being productive.

    You are right....I mean...the whole point of doing this Abe thing was to banish my own sadness through helping Abe banish his! I've already begun to reconnect with that, just by shutting up and doing my work!

    Heeheehee...thank you so much <3<3<3!!!!! I owe you so many hugs!! and cupcakes...:D!

    ReplyDelete