Friday, August 21, 2009

Works so far...

As promised, my post about the badges and previous drawings/things arranged on my studio wall. I'm also posting pictures of three drawings I made in the last few days, all nicely framed but not in my studio yet :)


A far back view....Ignore the sticks to the right and the crap to the left. The badges are in three seperate shadow-box-y frames above the rainbow drawing. This isn't how it will be displayed....this is just to get an idea of how things will look clustered together and to help decide which colour to paint the walls in my installation.



A closer view. Sory for the shitty photo. The clay toasts are the smallest ones...and to the far right is my felt tooth in a small plastic frame.


All my photos of the badges were pretty bad...especially the detail ones. Because of the high relfection of the glass. I won't post the closeups, but you get the point with this one.


A closer look at the combination of things.


And another... All the bright colours make me so happy......! and I love how the objects look together <3>


Here are some of the felt pals. :) You may recognize from earlier blogs.


Now here are my three latest drawings. These are meant to represent Ann Rutledge, who is widely known (no longer speculatively) as Abraham Lincoln's first love. They were informally engaged, but she was stricked with Typhoid and passed away suddenly at 22. On her deathbed, she called for Abe, and after her passing he, according to friends, seemed to completely fall apart. He lacked his former passion. This is not to undermine the woman he eventually married, Mary Todd, but first loves tend to be something a person never forgets.

I know that they're together now, so based on the descriptions I could find of her, I drew her.

These pictures are also not very great, and at weird angles, against because of the glare on the glass. They're all done in prismacolour pencil with a bit of marker and white goauche (on the pink-framed one).


First drawing....the one I like the least...but not bad. Note she's wearing an Abe badge!



Second, which I really like. The colours are like a Danish colour scheme. I'm really pleased with her features. I like to imagine here she's looking up at Abe since he was like 6785905 feet tall :)


The third drawing in this set. I really love this one. They're sitting on Abe's stovepipe hat watching the sunset. Abe's got a heart patch :) I also did a bit of research on what women wore in the early 1800s so I could put her in dresses that wouldve been possibly similar to what she actually wore. The stars are done with white goache. I did the sunset because, not only does it match nicely with the pink frame, I also imagined a drawing of them sitting together with their backs to the viewer. :)


And all of them together! The pink one really stands out...so I thought I'd put it in the middle so you're forced to look at the other two. I also want to include writing based on Abe's feelings about her. And I will probably include more drawings of her in another set. :) Please tell me what you think! Any comments/suggestions are so appreciated :)


And because you made it this far....a bonuc sketch of an idea for my next little framed series!

2 comments:

  1. OH MY DEAR! They're are absolutely fantastic! I love the colors and the second drawing of Ann Rutledge!! hehhehee and the third one reminds me of Aladdin <3 and the excitement of true love :]

    annnd whoa! is abe checking out abe's killer legs at the bottom? What would Freud have to say about this?? :p

    xoxoxoxox
    annnd i think Abe needs a Choose Your Own Adventure series with detectives, a cupcake shop, a You Got Mail scheme and possibly an encounter with a raccoon.

    ORORORORORORORROROROORORORO

    Might a suggest a Hero Team consisting of Abe, Harriet Tubman, the Pope, Steve Carrell, Santa Claus, Casper annnnd you+me! mhm! :D

    Have a splendid day, my love.
    walk around as if you fell into Wonderland and the only exit is through Neverland. <3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best friend!! AW!! Heeheee....your "excitement of true love" comment really made me smile! Thank you so much <3! You're totally right ....it does look a lot like the flying carpet scene in aladdin! Which reminds me of...A Whole New Snack!

    Woaah....I didn't notice Abe checking himself out. That is AWESOME!! He looks so sneaky!

    Oh V...you have the BEST ideas...an Abe choose your own adventure! And of course Abe would partner up with Harriet Tubman. What about Rosa Parks???

    Ooo la la.....does that mean Michael Jackson will be prancing around with me??!

    I love you like woahwoah!!

    ReplyDelete