Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Moving Slowly Along

Since I've got nothing else to show at the moment, here's a photo of some Sammy charms and a hair ribbon I made a couple months back for my niece and nephew, oh and Chris has one. I won't tell if it's a ribbon or charm though :D

So, I spent yesterday focusing more on cuddletown than my school work. I secured a domain, tried to design address labels again (and again wound up confused....), and worked out more regarding gift boxes and colour schemes. Chris is taking me on Thursday (my birthday! :D) to purchase the gift boxes and ribbons. It's better than buying them online...this way I can see the colours before me and make sure that they all look nice together.

My test gift box is looking so nice! I pinned the smiley face badge to the whole shebang last nite and boy did it make a pretty picture. I'll be wearing that smiley badge today because I've been needing to remember to be positive. Bad thoughts manifest themselves in our bodies, and soon we're living inside of black clouds. But I will probably take photos of the gift boxes after I buy them on Thursday.

I did try to draw, but I didn't really like what was coming out. It's cute when I look at it now, but still not exactly as I would like. But then I'm remembering what Bernhard told me....the only rule is strange..... and the sudden lack of object for the characters to be sitting on becomes an opportunity for having them sitting on something truly bizarre, or nothing at all. I have this strange issue with bringing wacky elements into my drawings but then stopping shy of truly making it wacky. I think I understand what Bernhard was talking about now. Woah I think I do! Imagine that!

My impromptu tute with Jo, a lady I just met on the day of my tute, didn't go so well. She asked me a ton of questions about my old Fritzl stuff from last semester, in which I was no longer interested. But she wanted to kind of familiarize herself with my work, so it was ok in that sense. But as we moved on to talk about my new stuff, the dreaded word "anime" came up (of course, though I'd say my work is more of a fusion since it's my own style now. but if you draw big eyes apparently that means you have an anime style. Ugh.). Anyhow, I should have known it wasn't going to go well. She wound up telling me that my drawings of Abe were simply caricatures of him, and that these pieces were more about me living in this utopian world than Abe having fun. It was meant to be about the both of us, and including others as well. She also mentioned that these situations may be things that Abe would hate to be a part of.

It just made me feel so, so down. As though I was holding Abe hostage, making him do things that he would abhor. But that wasn't my intention.... when I imagine the spirit of a person, I think of great joy and deep understanding that mere mortals can only comprehend in glimmers (moments of enlightenment....those delicious, often sudden overwhelming feelings of excitement and happiness). Chris told me that her comments just sounded bitter and black-hearted. I agree with him to an extent. It's her job to be critical in a sense....but maybe she's missing that part that others have that lets them enjoy the things I make? She sounds like a pragmatist who has little room for frivolities in her life. But I could be wrong.

Being happy sometimes is like flipping a switch. If you try hard enough, you can find something to be grateful for. And it can change your entire attitude. At least for the moment :)

I got a wonderful package from Janyce yesterday! It was filled with so many cute, funny little things! Buttons and tiny notebooks and markers and even some chocolate! :D It really made my night. In particular her little personal touches of beautiful writings that made me smile <3 I am now planning on making her a package of little goodies, so I am scheming!! :D

I've got to go, I have my counselor appointment in less than 2 hours, and then class at 2. Goody goody :)

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!! Those are soooo cute. Seriously!!!! I am squeeing with delight. I am loving the penguins. Sammie must be the best source of inspiration. :D

    ReplyDelete